Forums

Forum Home > ABC TV & General Discussion > ABC News Thread #3

Photon

Rumpole at May 27, 2016 at 4:56 AM

Vivid Sydney 2016: Lights and installations illuminate city as festival launched

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/vivid-sydney-2016-lights-up-city-as-festival-launched/7454928

Say what you like about us Sydney people, but you can't call us shy and retiring.

We love plenty of colour & movement in the emerald city.   8)

--

May 27, 2016 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Looks very impressive what they've done to the Opera House, but I'd hate to be the person who paints it white again.

;)

--

May 27, 2016 at 5:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Photon at May 27, 2016 at 5:04 AM

Rumpole at May 27, 2016 at 4:56 AM

Vivid Sydney 2016: Lights and installations illuminate city as festival launched

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/vivid-sydney-2016-lights-up-city-as-festival-launched/7454928

Say what you like about us Sydney people, but you can't call us shy and retiring.

We love plenty of colour & movement in the emerald city.   8)

It looks absolutely amazing! I wish I could go. :)

--

May 27, 2016 at 5:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

And now for something completely different; some good news.

Multi-million-dollar lotto win brings cheer to Victorian dairy town hit by milk price crisis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/multi-million-dollar-lotto-win-brings-cheer-to-dairy-town/7455274

--

May 27, 2016 at 7:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Entish
Not quite ABC news ... Nine has sacked the Producer of the 60 minutes program and all other crew members have retained the job. What about the recovery team that is still in jail? Disgraceful.
--

May 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Entish at May 28, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Not quite ABC news ... Nine has sacked the Producer of the 60 minutes program and all other crew members have retained the job. What about the recovery team that is still in jail? Disgraceful.

I agree Entish, it is disgraceful. They employ someone, then just dump them. The whole thing is utterly disgusting!

--

May 28, 2016 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

The mother of one of the jailed members of the recovery team was interviewed on the 7.30 Report last night.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2015/s4471024.htm

--

May 28, 2016 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

@abcwhovians
Site Owner

@abcwhovians at May 24, 2016 at 4:57 PM

I start this thread with some good news. El Nino is officially over!

After the driest start to a year I've seen since I've been farming the weather will be playing catch up this weekend. #onfloodwatch
--

Am I Good Man…Or Just The Valeyard?

June 2, 2016 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Yep, looks pretty good all over NSW.

Are you flood prone SM ?

--

June 2, 2016 at 8:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

@abcwhovians
Site Owner
We have a good mix of flood plain and higher ground. The bureau has issued a flood watch for moderate flooding in our river. If it stays moderate and doesn't go to major we should be ok
--

Am I Good Man…Or Just The Valeyard?

June 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Good luck.

If it floods in my area, it will be of Biblical proportions.

:)

--

June 2, 2016 at 8:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Good luck to SM & Rumpy in surviving any floods.   There's very dense cloud over Sydney at the moment, but the sunlight is trying hard to break through.  There's no wind and the birds have stopped calling, so it's probably the calm before the storm.

--

June 2, 2016 at 8:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Thanks Tardy, but at 1000 m (almost) ASL I don't think I'll have a problem.

:)

--

June 2, 2016 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset
Overcast here at the moment but the sun has broken through occasionally. As Tardis has said the birds have disappeared from the bird baths and all seems still. Best of luck to SM in the rain. Stay safe.
June 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Is this a conservation measure, a cash grab or both ?

Namibia offers endangered black rhinos to trophy hunters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-04/namibia-offers-endangered-black-rhinos-to-trophy-hunters/7477258

--

June 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Getting priorities right, which Press Conference is more important?

This morning the ABC interrupted a live press conference held by Nick Xenophon talking about the damage caused by Problem Gambling.

They switched to another Press Conference featuring Bill Shorten talking about the ALP's Arts Policy.

Much as I love the arts, surely they could have recorded Shorten's speech and let Xenophon finish what he was saying.

--

June 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Photon at June 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Getting priorities right, which Press Conference is more important?

This morning the ABC interrupted a live press conference held by Nick Xenophon talking about the damage caused by Problem Gambling.

They switched to another Press Conference featuring Bill Shorten talking about the ALP's Arts Policy.

Much as I love the arts, surely they could have recorded Shorten's speech and let Xenophon finish what he was saying.

Agreed.

They have cut Shorten off to go to Turnbull interviews a number of times.

First in first served I reckon. Thats what recording apparatus is for.

--

June 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Rumpole at June 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Is this a conservation measure, a cash grab or both ?

Namibia offers endangered black rhinos to trophy hunters

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-04/namibia-offers-endangered-black-rhinos-to-trophy-hunters/7477258

It's actually quite a complex situation and it is not easy to answer your question.

In countries like Namibia and South Africa (private and public) conservation reserves are over-stocked with game animals such as African Elephants, Black Rhino and African Lions.  This is different to other parts of Africa such as in Kenya and Tanzania where numbers of these game animals are perilously low.  If there isn't a a controlled cull of animals within the reserves of Namibia and South Africa, then the grasslands and associated woodlands would become degraded so much that the game animals and other species would starve and suffer a slow, agonising death.

So how is the animal cull best managed? One can turn a blind eye to illegal poaching (not recommended), the cull can be conducted by the wildlife rangers (they are not adequately resourced to do this) or you can have controlled commercial hunting with the funds raised going back into animal conservation (the current proposal).  Conservation funds from commercial hunting also helps local communities because animal conservation attracts tourists which helps the economies of the local communities, and it also helps to train and employ some local people as conservation rangers.  I also note that the three rhinos identified to be shot are old and no longer breeding animals, so they no longer have the potential to contribute to the conservation of their own species.

The down side to hunters paying for the right to kill, is that it leads to growing resentment from the local communities who are involved in the illegal poaching.  Commercial hunters have moved onto their turf and are taking away their illegal trade.  This can lead to illegal poachers determined to kill game before the hunters have a chance, thus escalating the numbers of animals killed.  You also have disreputable hunters and guides luring game animals out of protected areas, such as the disgusting case of Cecil the Lion last year.

--

June 3, 2016 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Yes, it's a tough situation. Similar to culling of camels and horses in Australia although they are not endangered of course.

--

June 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

And you thought that Star Wars fans like to dress up.   :roll:

In the heart of a Czech forest, close to 1,000 Hobbit fans gathered dressed as their favourite characters to re-enact an epic battle from the classic JRR Tolkien novel.

Participants dressed up as elf archers, goblins, orcs, wargs, or Men of Dale, and battled it out using realistic-looking weapons made of wood and fibreglass.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-05/hobbit-fans-battle-it-out-in-a-czech-forest/7478584

--

June 4, 2016 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.